Minds Often Wander

Monday, February 07, 2011

Introductions

I've decided that though I've graduated and can't compete in Beacon, I was going to start a blog of just things I encounter as a stylist. Though, as any blog should, an introductory post is neccesary!


I got into the beauty industry because I have always had a passion for it, I used to sit behind my mom when I was little [from the age of like four to say ten or so] and I'd brush her hair up into some sort of style, brush it down then do it again. I used to do this for hours on end, it was mom's stress relief and it was fun for me while she was watching TV. At the age of twelve I made the most drastic change to my hair that I had ever done, other than a donation to locks of love, I got highlights put in. [A lot of begging went into that]

It was a lot of fun for me, my parents although not crazy about the idea of me changing my hair with a chemical, liked it in the end. I really otherwise didn't do much other than the occasional all over color or the highlight/lowlight combination. My mom let me start coloring her hair when I turned thirteen, again it was something I loved doing.

Beyond the kitchen, my hair styling 'career' really didn't do much, I colored mom's hair every few months, and I just let it go in my own hair [as pointed out as I look back on old photographs on facebook].

I got to high school, and I had other dreams, I'll be honest, I wanted to become a news anchor. It was a dream I pursued until I got to college. I started at Columbus State where I started to realize that traditional schooling was not for me. I had a small taste of that in high school, but it didn't click but that lesson hit me hard in college. After a year of hit and miss success at college, I told my parents that Columbus State was not for me.

They were happy for me to realize this, I took time off from school, thinking I could just go straight to work. I had little experience but that didn't stop me from trying though. After an unsuccessful job hunt, I realized, I had to do something. I wasn't going to get a job without having some semblance of certification, degree, something.

I had to do something for not only me, but my daughter. I made the decision to give school another go. I looked into various certificates at Columbus State, something I could get done in a few quarters, a year at most, the Bradford School for Culinary Arts, and then one day my mom suggested Aveda.

I knew they had something for education but I wasn't sure what. A billboard stared me in the face every day for a year while I was at Columbus State, it just said "I know Who I Am. And My Future is With Aveda" I never dreamed that would ring true for me. But, I called and set up college visits with both Bradford and Aveda.

I went to both, and I really enjoyed both. With Bradford I could have gotten into food photography, as photography is another passion of mine. Aveda though, they blew me away with everything. It was where I wanted to be. And the rest...is history. :)

No comments: