Minds Often Wander

Monday, February 07, 2011

The Institute

I graduated from the Aveda Institute Columbus' Cosmetology program in ten months, exactly. Each day was a new challenge be it trying to fumble with Anatomy and Physiology, Aveda Color, relaxers or perms, I looked forward to it. Some days, moreso than others but I woke up every morning loving what I do.

And that's what I needed. That's what everyone needs.

Aveda presented me with challenges, solutions, and a positive learning environment in which I thrived.

After the first ten weeks of a lot of hard work and dedication, I finally made it to the floor. The feeling I had after completing my model days in weeks 6-10 [AIC breaks things down in 5 week rotations for the most part] and passing my finals and our now Director of Education coming in and explaining the logistics of how everything in the salon actually worked gave me a feeling of redemption that was long awaited for.

My mom was my rock through my first ten weeks, I had a lot of personal issues going on but she stood by me and even came in for a model day for me. As I progressed through the Alpha, Beta and eventually Gamma phases of school, she would schedule at least one appointment with me in that time frame when she could to come in and see my growth. Not only hearing me at home, but actually seeing my work in action.

She's not hesitant to tell you watching me grow was the best thing she did.

I had a lot of fun at the Institute as a student, a lot of memorable guests, like one who had cancer and just wanted her hair to look nicer so she felt better about going through chemo, to another who drove two hours just to be with her kids away at college and took them to dinner, and another who just wanted a change to feel beautiful. These types of clients are the type of clients that I loved servicing, and made my day better. Even the ones who gave me a bit of a hard time, I enjoyed as they challenged me to be better so they couldn't leave without a smile on their face. As long as I could get my client to smile, and love what I did...that was the best part of the service for me anyway.

I had made sure that I took charge of my education. I participated in everything I could from Earth Jam [a student done fashion show], Beauty for the Earth, Beauty for the Heart, Beauty for a Cure, Master Jam [a fashion show I went to just to go to], participating in the Edwin Neil competition, and in all...I wish I could do it all again. Even picking up those late night Monday shifts, and my halfdays just to be more immersed in the industry.

No comments: